PURPOSE OF CLASSIFICATION
This position will assist the General Manager in overseeing, planning and management of all event operations and logistics to ensure the safe and appropriate development and year-around use of the Wilson County Expo Center. This position will supervise all full-time, part-time, temporary, special events, and volunteer staff related to facility operations. The successful candidate will exhibit exceptional organization and time management skills. S/He will be results oriented, a highly motivated self-starter with the capacity to prioritize, multi-task and manage multiple projects. This position reports to the General Manager and is a working Supervisory position with emphasis on event preparation, planning, execution, custodial operations and follow-up reports.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Administers Expo Center policies and procedures, including setting goals and objectives for facility operations.
- Develop, implement and measure a comprehensive building maintenance management needs and requirements.
- Assists with management, administration and use of Expo Center facility.
- Assists with all facility operations including, but not limited to, special events, scheduling, logistics and infrastructure support, and maintenance management.
- Assists in the marketing of the Expo Center facility to potential customers in support of Expo Center Marketing Director.
- Assists customers and the public with questions regarding all aspects of the Expo Center Operations.
- Coordinates and attends meetings with the Marketing Director, General Manager, staff, and special events personnel, as needed.
- Assists with the preventative and predictive facility maintenance program and coordinates warranty work.
- Coordinates building maintenance needs requirements.
- Ensures safe event set up/tear down and facility/grounds cleaning and maintenance, as needed.
- Assists with risk management assessments in monitoring the safety and liability risks associated with development and operation of the facility.
- Assists with the monitoring of facility and operations budgets.
- Coordinates and maintains proper inventory for equipment and supplies through General Manager.
- Assists with fiscal controls and records keeping requirements; ensures they are conducted within established procedures and policies.
- Assists with development of job descriptions to support operational justifications and recommendations for department personnel.
- Assists with recruiting, selection, training, and supervises department personnel and contract labor in job-related activities, duties and responsibilities.
- Trains Expo Center staff and volunteers in job related duties and responsibilities, as needed.
- Conduct performance reviews as requested.
- Recommends personnel actions.
- Performs well under pressure and thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Readily complies with departmental and county-wide policies and procedures.
- Performs related special duties as assigned.
- Works alongside hourly staff to maintain restrooms, trash collections and a clean facility during and after all events.
- Meets and communicates with Lessees in preparation for events. Assists with planning for events as required. Communicates effectively and businesslike with event promoter and their staff.
- This is a working supervisory position responsible for the Expo Center facility operations and associated administrative duties.Handles detailed, complex concepts and problems, balances multiple tasks simultaneously, and makes effective decisions regarding Expo Center operations in a timely manner.
- Plans and implements programs.Establishes strong and appropriate relationships thru meetings with volunteers, staff, and clients.Develops smooth and constructive relationships with executive colleagues, outside agencies, organizations and individuals.
- Plans and meets deadlines.Maintains a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of Expo Center management.Hours may be long and irregular including nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Conveys a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the Expo Center and operations under pressure.Demonstrates commitment to continued professional growth and development.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Substitution may be considered if a candidate has proven a minimum of 5 years supervisory/management experience, building and equipment maintenance and/or;
- Can show an equivalent combination of education, experience and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the successful performance of the essential job duties.
- Working knowledge of methods and practices for business management special event planning, event management and risk management assessment, including the monitoring of safety and liability risks associated with facility/business development and facility operations.
- Demonstrated experience in emergency response and communications as it relates to facility operations and management.
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate in a businesslike manner with all event holders and staff. Concise and effective communication in a professional manner.
- Proven ability to manage and oversee multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to apply strategic planning principles and methods for managing the growth of the Expo Center.
- Demonstrated ability to provide customer service that includes the development and implementation of customer needs, satisfaction and evaluation process as it relates to the Expo Center Facility operations.
- Personal qualities that include integrity, commitment to Expo Center’s mission, respect for diversity and the ability to inspire and motivate others; develops people and builds teams. The individual will deal effectively with demanding situations and designs and implements interventions.
- Ability to speak English and possess excellent writing and oratorical skills.
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot Audio/Video equipment, computers, plumbing/electrical fixtures.
- Experience in the development and implementation of new facility programs, services and activities necessary for this industry.
- Experience in all aspects of financial management, including but not limited to budget preparation, management and reconciliation.
- Experience in contract scope of work development, negotiations, and administration.
- Experience in public administration principles and processes.
- Experience in procedures necessary for facility management, operation and management.
- Experience in business practice and Business law.
- Experience in the principles and practices of supervision.
- Experience with promoting and marketing banquets, receptions and social events.
- This position may be required to work a flexible work schedule, including some nights, weekends and holidays in order to meet the responsibility of managing the Expo Center facility and programs associated with the mission of the facility. Schedule is erratic depending on the number of events and their hours of operation.
Data Utilization: Required ability to develop data collection methods, oversee and utilize the implementation of the data collection, and measure the outcomes as it relates to the programs, services and activities of the Expo Center. In addition, candidate will be expected to make recommendations to the administration for improvement of all programs, services and activities as it relates to the outcome of the data management.
Human Interaction: Requires the ability to exchange information for the purpose of clarifying details within well-established policies, procedures and standards.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Materials Utilization: Requires frequent use of personal computer, demonstrated use of Microsoft Office products; other office related systems. Requires the ability to utilize scheduling systems; requires the ability to read and understand facility drawings and equipment submittals and maintenance requirements; required knowledge of environmental cleaning materials and equipment. Working knowledge of Audio/Video equipment, basic electrical and plumbing troubleshooting, material moving equipment and building maintenance equipment such as sweepers, scrubbers, scissor lift, etc.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data and information.
Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform mathematical principles.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to carry out instructions, furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgement concerning choices of action.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgments, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or variable criteria.
ADA COMPLIANCE/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk or listen.
- The employee is to be mobile; climbing stairs, ladders, operating material moving equipment, cleaning equipment and lifts.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet in the office area but may include moderate to loud noise levels in the Expo Hall.